A day in the life...

You know you want to, you social butterfly.
schwim
Site Admin

Re: A day in the life...

Chloe's car had clogged cats which caused blown gaskets, making it sound like a rolling fart. We're likely moving to a place with emissions testing so I knew I needed to get them swapped out. A shop quoted 2500$ to replace. I bought both the header/cat and second pipe/cat for less than 200$ on Amazon. Got it finished today, nice and quiet and no codes.

I couldn't transfer the heatshields of the second pipe over due to different shape so I wrapped the pipe in header wrap.

Maddel

schwim wrote: clogged cats

:lol:

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

:lol:
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Maddel

schwim wrote:Chloe's car had clogged cats ... I couldn't transfer the heat shields of the second pipe over due to different shape so I wrapped the pipe in header wrap.
Looks great to me but German TÜV would hate you for this... And more probably than not they would chase you off the yard. :D

Finally done...

schwim
Site Admin

schwim wrote:Looks great to me but German TÜV would hate you for this... And more probably than not they would chase you off the yard. :D
Is it because of the non-OEM replacements? To be honest, states like California would also not allow this as if it's not CARB approved or OEM replacement, it's not legal. In places where common sense prevails, if what you put on it works as well or better at clearing emissions as what came off of it, it's allowed.

Maddel wrote:Finally done...
Wow, that looks great!
Maddel

Over here the non-OEM parts are ok if the car meets the emission criteria and passes the emission test I think.
But the inspectors most probably wouldn't tolerate the missing heat shields.

Ah, interesting... Where are the heat shields? And what is this wrapping supposed to be?
Well Sir I tried to be creative...
I see... But this is TÜV you know not your adult evening art class!
schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote:Over here the non-OEM parts are ok if the car meets the emission criteria and passes the emission test I think.
But the inspectors most probably wouldn't tolerate the missing heat shields.
Ahh, I see. To be honest, I worried about it causing an issue with heat in the floorboard but it's working at least as well as the shields. A mechanic on the Nissan forums that I spoke to said that most people don't bother even wrapping and that the pipe that far back doesn't heat up enough to cause floorpan issues.
Maddel wrote:Ah, interesting... Where are the heat shields? And what is this wrapping supposed to be?
Well Sir I tried to be creative...
I see... But this is TÜV you know not your adult evening art class!
I think they would say something like that to everything I do :D
schwim
Site Admin

So, we had a 6 foot coaxial cable dangling from the top of the house after the roofers removed the satellite dish. It sat about 40 feet above the ground. I had an idea that I could use an old tree saw that had sat behind the house for years. I took off the saw part and intended to use the loppers part of the tool but even when I managed to reach the cable, I just couldn't get the coaxial cable to drop into the cutting portion of the tool.

Brainstorming resulted in this:

I may market the tool on a late night TV informercial. It works pretty great:
Maddel

That was utterly awesome!!

Gyro Gearloose meets MacGyver meets Rex Kramer...

Holy crap that's SCHWIM!!!

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

seriously, what number beer did you have someone hold before coming up with and then attempting that? :lol:
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful