the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

iv been told that mosquito's aren't attracted to the zappers. there's another type that runs on propane that is proven to work, but i don't have one and am to cheep to buy one.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

if that actually happened id be drinking Tobasco by the drum! i would single handedly be responsible for the extinction of mosquitos.

in other news, i found that damn bolt. it was in the second worse place it could have fallen. behind the crank pully. i had to bend the tin and fish it out with a magnet on a flexible grabber claw.
also added gaskets under the fuel pump to lower the pressure.
right now im cussing at the distributor nut. between the alternator fuel pump and magnaspark distributer there is no room to get back to the nut. i got the washer on, but the nut keeps wanting to go on crooked and im not in the mood to cross thread. ...yet :evil: ...
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, after several weeks of being distracted by a mini bike engine i finally "fixed" the accelerator pump arm situation. somehow they got bent and were hanging the throttle open a bit so it wouldn't go all the way to full idle. i managed to no shit, hammer the nut off between the throttle shaft and generator. it was to big and wouldn't fit between the two. so i found a path of least resistance and vented some frustration. removed one arm and straightened it out in the vice, then use plyers to straighten out the other one cause i didn't want to remove the accelerator pump linkage. then put it all back together with a robbed throttle shaft nut (cause the original German nut was smaller and thinner) and now it's all back to working properly.
so now i have to take a stab at adjusting a carb that's probably not jetted properly. i think i may have to break down and buy some kind of air fuel ratio meter or something. don't really want to add a bung in the exhaust for a gauge but it may come down to that.

and on a side note. i think the distracting mini bike engine is "finished" i think all it needs is a carb tune as well :roll:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so i bought is a thing. it isn't seat upholstery, but it is interior related.
say hello to my new little friend. a Vintage Speed Black Mamba Sport Shifter. (Ron Lummus Racing is a vender if you're interested. they have other styles as well). haven't installed it yet (was run out of the backyard by mosquito's) so ill install it maybe Saturday morning. but you can tell it's a well made piece. it's buttery smooth.

and sense im hell bent on keeping my shift knob (always wanted an 8 ball shift knob and it was the first mod i did to the car back in high school). the shifter has a M8X1.25 stud for the knob, so i made an adapter out of delrin.
schwim
Site Admin

That shifter looks amazing. I know I've seen pics of it before but never knew where it came from.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

installed! aside from maybe needing some minor adjustment.

i haven't driven with it yet. but, super easy instillation. it's smooth. reverse is easier to find with this than the stock shifter. it's ergonomic as hell, it's in a very natural/comfortable spot. the throw is noticeably shorter than a stock shifter, but not to short. i looks bad ass and matches my window cranks. 2 thumbs up on this one!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

lets play a game. it's called WTF size are these jets. only hint i can give is that the one on the left if the screen is visibly larger.

edit:
alright enough fooling around. i just ordered main jet and idle jet kits so i can have various sized and diel it in.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

jetting without a way of reading the AFR sucks!
apparently the jet i took out that i thought was a 127.5 may be a 137.5 :? (just eyeballing it) cause i put a 127.5 main jet in it and it's now very hesitant off idle (want's to die) and coughs out the carb. but it will hold about an 800rpm idle. so its cooling off and im going to throw a 135 in it (the original jet fouled the plugs so im assuming i need to go smaller) see where that gets me.

still have a 55 idle jet in it.

i guess the good news is that after sitting for about 6 weeks it started.

edit:
135 main is better than the 127.5. but it's still not coming off idle, smaller flat spot and a coughing out the carb when it does. im not messing with it until i get new spark plugs. i should be able to read new plugs. maybe that'll help.
also thinking i should set my accelerator pump back to 0. it's advanced a notch.

and i upped the idle to a 60 cause why he hell not.