I had to take the door apart for the stripping process and couldn't believe how deteriorated the rubber bits were
. The rubber had become some sort of crystallized rock looking structure. Reminded me of that rock candy you could buy at old stores. Not really surprising at all but at least this door is unoriginal to Zippy.
And I gave some more thought to my drive for a metal finish. Although the clear has held up so far in this rainforest environment, I don't like the discolorations and blemishes that I'd be signing on for so I'm considering a mottled or hammered finish paint:
I've used this type of paint a lot in the past. It applies well and gives a nice hammered or mottled finish. I think I'm going to give the passenger side this treatement and see how I like it. Until I think of the next grand finish idea, that's where I'm hanging my hopes.
I've ordered a couple rattle cans of self etching primer and Amazon should drop it at the beginning of the week. Until then, I'll try to get the stripped portion of the body ready for it.