A day in the life...

You know you want to, you social butterfly.
schwim
Site Admin

Re: A day in the life...

Maddel wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 11:42 am A few impressions of yesterday's hailstorm...

No damage on our car's windows fortunately but the roofs are dented quite a bit... :(
Oh my, that's pretty terrible! Did you escape the flooding? Does your insurance cover the damage to the cars or is that a sort of "act of God not covered" type of thing?

We've had torrential rains for the last week or so. It's nothing damaging but it's gotten to be quite a drag.
Maddel

Yep, my car insurance should cover hail damage.
Not sure about my wife's car insurance terms and conditions.
We will talk to the agents tomorrow.

No flooding at our home fortunately but most of the neighbors had water ingress at their basements.
The sewers capacity could not handle this downpour.
Down the road a Lady's souterrain apartment is actually uninhabitable now due to water damage.

At our home three shutters clone the moon surface and the roof panel of the little shed is sort of perforated.
Aside from that the garden almost looks like invaded by a swarm of grasshoppers.
So in a sense we were lucky and to got off lightly compared to other areas of the city.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

got home from vacation (in schwims hood, well kinda, i was up in Harrisonburg) to a slightly leaky hot water heater (it was like 18 years old). so me and my dad had to replace it. well the old heater was hooked up with nothing but copper hard lined. and the inlet/outlet on top of the new heater was like an inch different (cause of course it would be) so i had to sweat some pipe and put an extension in to make the lines line up, and then shorten an existing line. so i took a cold shower last night. and finished the job today.

top of old heater after removing it.

new heater with my kick ass pipe mods
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

18 years is a pretty good run for a water heater, that pipe had had enough.

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

i really don't care for July. 88 degrees with 50% humidity. im standing in garage looking at a couple old 5 horse Briggs engines just sweating.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

saw something today that never would have flown when i was a kid.
3 boys (roughly 11-13 years old) riding on one e-bike. that butts to nuts stuff never would have flown with anyone i knew when i was that age. it was bad enough when someone's bike was down and they had to hitch a ride on someone's pegs. it was understood, you stand on the pegs, hands go on the riders shoulders and you maintained a gap. if any part of the monkey made contact with the riders back the monkey took a tumble. skin was lost, but it was understood and no feelings were hurt. and then the monkey had to walk the rest of the way. but you never left a man behind, so you rode in circles around him doing tricks and jumping off the curb while ridiculing him for not having a bike.
what the hell is wrong with kids today?
schwim
Site Admin

Well, I've been slowly getting back up to speed after a ton of medical stuff. Progress on anything is exacerbated by the fact that out of the 3 vehicles I own(Zippy, Bog the Super Bronco and El Mullet) all have been out of commission for over 4 months now so I've been unable to get building materials or go for a bike ride. My world has gotten quite small as of late.

But! After two years of the kids showering at our house, I finally got their shower installed and usable. The curtain is temporary, we've got a slider door for it.

Maddel

schwim wrote: August 8th, 2023, 9:56 am Well, I've been slowly getting back up to speed after a ton of medical stuff.
Glad you're doing well again!
schwim wrote:Progress on anything is exacerbated by the fact that out of the 3 vehicles I own(Zippy, Bog the Super Bronco and El Mullet) all have been out of commission for over 4 months now so I've been unable to get building materials or go for a bike ride. My world has gotten quite small as of late.
That's a bummer... Zippy, well ok, but what's the trouble with the others? :(
schwim wrote:But! After two years of the kids showering at our house, I finally got their shower installed and usable. The curtain is temporary, we've got a slider door for it.
The shower cubicle turned out great, I like the black fittings. 8-)
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Maddel wrote: August 9th, 2023, 2:05 pm
That's a bummer... Zippy, well ok, but what's the trouble with the others? :(
aint got no gas in it :lol:
schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote: August 9th, 2023, 2:05 pm That's a bummer... Zippy, well ok, but what's the trouble with the others? :(
Bog had some kind of catastrophic timing event and is behaving like he jumped time(regular backfires through carb). Towing to two shops, one didn't want the job and the other charged me for a distributor, coil and labor and gave it back non-running still. They said it needs an engine but didn't have anything to prove that point. I think I'm looking at a timing chain, broken cam or cam gear type thing but don't have the time to look at it at the moment. The El Camino has had a ton of issues, largest of which is a bad transmission and has just decimated my bank account. I got it back and within the first 24 hours, the steering pump blew and the thermostat housing blew a leak(corroded aluminum). Both bolts broke when trying to replace the housing, so the shop is drilling them out now.

So, no bike riding as I can't get a bike anywhere, all construction stuff has to be delivered, I have Chloe's old Altima to get places but I'm about 4-5 months into not having a vehicle to get anything done.

I'm trying to keep up with permit time limits for the garage so I haven't gotten the time to even look at Bog, I just parked him at the house. I'm looking for local trades to get a truck or something to haul stuff but if nothing happens in that department, I'll pull the timing cover off and see if that's the issue.