what gauge wire for VDO gauges?

General support category.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

what gauge wire for VDO gauges?

im in the early stages of wiring up some VDO gauges (oil pressure, oil temp, volts) and am wondering what gauge wire is recommended for the job. iv done some googling and can't fine anything discernible. thinking of playing it safe and just using 18 gauge sense i think that's what most of the car is wired in.

thoughts?
opinions?
experiences?
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

Re: what gauge wire for VDO gauges?

I know that VDO suggests a minimum of 16ga for sending unit connections. You could use smaller for illuminations circuits though.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

how about for power from fusebox to gauge?
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: February 19th, 2023, 11:19 pm how about for power from fusebox to gauge?
Like an amp or volt meter? VDO states a minimum of 10ga for that application.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

ill hook up the volt gauge at a later date. im mostly interested in making the oil pressure gauge work. there are 3 terminals on the gauge (excluding the light) a sensor terminal, a ground terminal, and a power terminal that i believe gets power from an auxiliary terminal on the fusebox so the gauge gets power when key is in the on position. need to know what gauge wire would be needed for the fusebox to gauge connection. i can't imagine the amp draw on the gauge would require more than 18. but sense i just ordered a spool of 16 gauge SAE spec wire ill probably just use that.

also assuming 20 gauge should work for the lights in the gauges sense they should be a really low amp draw.