A day in the life...

You know you want to, you social butterfly.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: A day in the life...

1320 video order 8-)
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

Just watched the final episode of drag week. I enjoyed watching the gremlin and orange hatch the most I think.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

you know Bang Shift streamed it live on youtube right? you can literally go watch every run of the week :shock:
you watch Cleetus McFarlands videos yet?
stay tuned and keep your eyes open for Alex Taylors videos (riding with alex taylor). she runs "Badmaro" and her dad Dennis runs "the retro nova". both cars are bad ass, especially the nova. runs 7's.
schwim
Site Admin

Hey there folks!

Technically 3 days in the life but who's counting :)

It's my and my wife's 20th anniversary tomorrow and a few things fell into place to make this possible. First, my wife and daughter went to Charlotte to help her dad with his house so I had 3 days to get this done. Secondly, my mom moved to Arizona, leaving a king mattress, which my wife had been wanting for years because I "refuse to stay on your side of the bed, making sleep impossible." I grabbed the freebie mattress, storing it in the basement with the intention of making a headboard for it. After some time chewing on it, however, I wondered why I would just build a headboard when I could build a whole bed. My lizard brain then yelled "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED". I googled "floating bed diy", picked a picture I liked and got to work.

Starting point:

Trip to the lumber store!

None of this fancy-schmancy hardwoods, this baby is going to be built out of #2 roof joist and the cheapest 1x dimensional I can get. That's why God made sanders and routers for. Even so, it cost quite a few hundred dollars in materials(woops).

Room has been cleared for the most part and the outer perimeter lumber has been brought up from the basement after cutting, sanding/routing and rattlecan clear coat:

Me and my build partner got to work:

Yep, still no garage. Another project built in a sloping gravel drive:

Base has been completed:

Time to build the headboard!

With the headboard finished, I needed to get the mattress from the basement to the second floor. This was by far the most challenging aspect of the entire thing. I thought I was going to kill myself.

And finally complete:

Some items of note. I installed led strips under the bed with motion sensors so at night we have sort of side-specific night lights. You can sort of see them in the next-to-last pic.

As you would expect, something of this size made with 2x10s, 2x6s, 2x4s and some 1x is HEAVY. I wouldn't consider this if I didn't trust the construction of the floor beneath.

I built the platform 1" larger in each direction but it seems mattresses(at least this one) is a bit undersized so there's a bit of space between the edge of the mattress and the end of the platform. I would have built it to exact advertised measurements had I known this was a thing.

When she got home tonight, she fell in love with it so it was all worth it. A future project may be a couple nightstands that match the bed as the mismatched pair bother me more now than with the old bed :)

That's it for now, take care everyone!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

schwim wrote:
Me and my build partner got to work:

And finally complete:

kinda seems like the cat buried the dog under the bed.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

just had a root canal. yay me. get to go back or a crown in a week or two. yay me again.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

full send didn't go quite as planed

finally had and excuse to put the new body on it
schwim
Site Admin

Love the replacement body!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

it even has a mildly detailed engine. it's also supposed to have a rear wing, but idk what i did with it, ill look for it tomorrow
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

found the wing and painted the back of the body and put the tail light stickers on. also got the body clips tethered to the body. its officially done and driveable