A day in the life...

You know you want to, you social butterfly.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: A day in the life...

damn. clean! 8-)
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

made some alterations to the speaker project today. i wasn't happy with the way i attached the back the first time. all i did was fill the holes with shoe good, let that set and then drive in some self tappers. so yesterday i took the backs off again. drilled out the holes and cut and dowels to fit and wood glued those in. let it dry over night, this morning using the back as a templet i drilled new holes, and used new wood screws to attach the back. then started messing the idea of some type of damping material. what i had was foam from RC car packaging. and did some experimenting with it. a little on the inside back panel and it lost some of the high end hollowness and added some low end sound so the sound quality is noticeably better. so much so that i hung them on the garage wall and wired them up. and as soon as i figure out how to get the video off my phone ill add to this post (note, sound quality of video is probably going to suck)

edit 1:
forgot to mention i had to modify some hangers to hang them on the wall (i didn't want to add holes to the back of the box). screwed 2 together and cleaned up the teeth with a dremel.

edit 2:
the mic on my phone sucks. turn your volume way up!
Maddel

8-) Mounting them on a wall will help with the low end too.
Back in the day we designed a pair of sallow speaker boxes purpose build for wall mounting (e.g., hidden behind a picture).
I still use the prototypes with my PC. They produce quite a bit of oomp... :D
I can post a pic if someone is interested.
schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote: July 18th, 2022, 12:29 am I can post a pic if someone is interested.
I'd love to see some pics of that.
Maddel

schwim wrote: July 18th, 2022, 8:01 am
Maddel wrote: July 18th, 2022, 12:29 am I can post a pic if someone is interested.
I'd love to see some pics of that.
Here you go Sir... ;)

These were built 30 years ago so no pics of that brilliant action... :D

Back then the boxes were the prototypes we used for experimenting with different drivers
to find out what will work best with a shallow vented enclosure set up.

The angle of the photos is a bit misleading... The actual depth of the housing is abaout 4.2 inches.
After some tinkering we were able to reduce the depth of the vented enclosure by another inch or so.
To bad I didn't keep a pair of the final version of these shallow wall speakers.

Two years ago I threw in a pair of new tweeters (curse these overdriven mp3s). :evil:
But other than that they work like a charm for 30 years now.

Last edited by Maddel on July 19th, 2022, 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

pic's aren't working
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: July 18th, 2022, 8:18 pm pic's aren't working
Fixed it... Hopefully...
Google Photos is a PITA at times! :?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

cool set up.
also i think i have that exact same speaker wire in use on my stereo in the house
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so i had jury duty this week. for the 7th time in 19 years. and for the first time ever i called in every day and didn't have to go in! :shock: not sure if i should buy lottery tickets for hide from lightning
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: July 28th, 2022, 10:25 pm so i had jury duty this week. for the 7th time in 19 years. and for the first time ever i called in every day and didn't have to go in! :shock: not sure if i should buy lottery tickets for hide from lightning
I have never showed up in the 30+ years that I have been sent a notice for it. I'm nobody's peer and I'm doing all involved a favor by not showing up.