Herman's Log...

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Maddel

Re: Herman's Log...

It's not connected yet but I like to solder the larger "special" eyelet and spade connectors. Easy to reuse this way.
I had a few used large eyelets at hand but non of them had a diameter large enough to fit the seat belt attachment bolt.
So I bit the bullet and tailored one...
Maddel

Super slow progress on the woofer project. :?
Fixed the amp and hooked up the cable connections but still no battery in the car.
So testing and tuning the complete setup is still pending...

Maddel

Back in the '70s some tuners over here in Germany (like Decker or Riechert) recommended removing
the duckbill valve from the crank case breather tube to improve venting when running dual carbs.

I didn't want an open tube down there so a few years ago I macgyvered sort of a vent plug using shrinking tube. :o
Well.. It works but I never really liked it...

Lately I made this replacement using a scrap copper tube, a mesh screen of a leftover faucet aerator
and a locking pin clasp from adjustable elbow crutches...

I wonder how long the JB-welded mesh will hold up. :roll:
And yes that is overkill - but hey, I was bored... :lol:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

:lol: i saw the first pic and thought "huh, that's good solution" :lol:
exactly how board were you? cause i get board to, but iv just got a rag zip tied over mine.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Maddel

Finally... Battery back in and basic woofer setup done...

Image=0

Temporary glued a toothpick to the phase shift control so that I could reach back and do adjustments while driving...

Conclusion...
I'm glad this project is done at long last. The system's sound is better than expected.
That little woofer produces some astonishing "oomph". Even the rear mirror shakes at higher sound levels. 8-)
The down side is that my Bug's interior noise is ridiculous. :?
At 50 mph it starts to get really loud due to the dual carbs and the deep tuned Sebring exhaust.
Additional loud music will not add to the recreational experience... :D
Anyway, back in the day I would have loved it! "Everything Louder than Everyone Else"

In other news:
Distributor maintenance and static timing check...

Carb syncing & adjustment...

Maddel

While drying the trunk seal area after a wash I noticed some red paint chips on the chamois leather. :?
Well, the paint job was done some 33 years ago so here's the inevitable rust attack...

That area in May 1989. May be I didn't go the whole nine yards... :roll:

As expected after some scratching the whole extent came to the fore...

After more careful scratching, sanding, grinding and some final rust converter treatment...

A coat of primer was applied...

Red and clear touch up paint will be put on as soon the weather warms up in spring.
Man, there is always something...
schwim
Site Admin

I think it's super tough to get any rust out from between that pinchstrip and the body. I remember when I was working with body shops, they would remove them, treat the surface underneath and install new. The guy said otherwise it would always come back.

That being said, you made it almost 35 years, I don't think I would expect much more from the area than that. That's a good run :)
Maddel

schwim wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:07 am... That being said, you made it almost 35 years, I don't think I would expect much more from the area than that. That's a good run :)
Yeah a good run. But the car has a relatively low mileage and was rarely exposed to foul weather.
Over here on an all season daily that seal channel would have vanished long ago...
Amongst other parts of course. :lol:

If my inexpert efforts last for let's say another 20 years I'm more than happy.
But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :)
schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote: February 15th, 2024, 4:17 pm But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :)
Or, as my family liked to say; if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butts when they jumped.