71 Super Bug Restoration/Build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
ket_cad

So here I am, finally got myself a little bug project, safe to say this little sucker needs a lot of work doing and for a first project it’s quite a steep hill to climb.. but we shall see how it goes haha!

So first! I’ve been doing the usual stripping of the panels (doors, wheel arches, bumpers, bonnet and tail gate) and of course the interior bits and bobs. Fuel tank, electrics and engine are also now out to which was done this Saturday just gone. I’m now at the point where removing the shell/body to chassis bolts and really seeing what I have left of the floor pans etc, from what I can see so far my welding skills should be 10/10 after it’s all done ..

Will be a couple of weeks now when I will next work on the super bug but will update you all when I have.
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG (215.11 KiB) Viewed 35025 times
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2377.JPG (241.2 KiB) Viewed 35025 times
IMG_2384.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG (224.5 KiB) Viewed 35025 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schwim
Site Admin

Re: 71 Super Bug Restoration/Build

Welcome to the site!

Wow, you've got yourself quite a project! Do you have an idea yet the direction you want to go with it or are you still feeling it all out?
ket_cad

schwim wrote:Welcome to the site!

Wow, you've got yourself quite a project! Do you have an idea yet the direction you want to go with it or are you still feeling it all out?
Yeah it’s gonna be a toughy haha! Well plan is to make it near enough standard but play around with the engine a little see how much I can get from it! But that’s miles away at the moment![emoji28]

schwim
Site Admin

Well, aside from getting to drive it for the first time after reassembly, this is the most fun part of the journy, so enjoy it!

Also, take TONS of pictures and store them somewhere(like free Google photos storage). They will come in ultra handy when you forget how something went together.
Maddel

Welcome to the club, you started a cool project!

I really like right hand drive Bugs.

If I decoded the registration plate correctly your Bug was
first registered between August '71 and July '72 in Bristol?
Never attempted this before - may be I'm up a blind alley... :roll:

AFAIK a car in the UK keeps the licence plates during its lifetime.
So you're not necessarily located in Bristol, right?

Man I'm nosy... :oops: :D
ket_cad

schwim wrote:Well, aside from getting to drive it for the first time after reassembly, this is the most fun part of the journy, so enjoy it!

Also, take TONS of pictures and store them somewhere(like free Google photos storage). They will come in ultra handy when you forget how something went together.
I sure will! I’m no stranger to this type of build as I’ve helped restore an old t25 camper and being a qualified tech I know my way round the tools aha! Every time I do something to the Bug I’ll update the post!

ket_cad

Thanks man! That rings a bell, I’d have to take another look at the paperwork to confirm! I’ve got a lot of history with the car! Some receipts go back to the 70’s! Noo I’m in Suffolk bud!

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

hell yeah anther 71 super thread! im down with this. 8-)
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful