Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
149 posts Page 14 of 15
Previous 1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
Thank you for the kind words fellas! :)
July 2011 (cont'd)

High time to get the engine ready.

The oil pump cover was a bit leaky so I replaced the seals and nuts...

Image


The plan was to paint the areas of the engine case that are exposed to the engine bay.
I used a soft rotary wire wheel brush to carefully clean & prepare the magnesium alloy for the coating.

Image


While changing the spark plugs things turned nasty...
The last one (#4) didn't unscrew as smooth as the others. :?
The thread wasn't clean and shiny but all smudgy and glazed. :shock:

A closer inspection of the tap hole in the cylinder head revealed some structures that very much looked like a crack! :(
Damn! It wasn't planned to take the heads off since the engine ran quite well but I had to find out what's going on...
So off with it's head! :D

Image


Here we go - one nice crack!
That was quite a body blow - the plans for the driving season moved beyond reach... :(
Unfortunately Riechert didn't provide machined & ported cylinder heads any longer so I had to find another supplier.

Image


For the time being I proceeded with partly coating the engine case using Brantho-Korrux 3 in 1...

Image


And last but not least Riechert sent back the overhauled and tuned carbs...

Image
August 2011

New cylinder heads were on order, time to put the rear end together.

Final layer of undercoat applied to the rear apron...

Image


Attached the fenders...

Image

Image

Image


Bumper, taillights as well as new engine bay and deck lid seals installed...

Image

Image


Thought it would not hurt to brush up the generator stand and oil filler...

Image

Image
September 2011

Removed the remaining cylinder head, the cylinders and the pistons.

Image

Image


While at it I took out the flywheel main seal and checked the end play.

Image


New flywheel main seal installed...

Image
September 2011 (cont'd)

Cut new cylinder base seals using Reinz AMF 30 0.3mm gasket sheet material

Image


Sealing surfaces & stud bolts cleaned, new seal fitted to the cylinder base...

Image


Reinstalled cylinders 3 & 4 with pistons...

Image
September 2011 (cont'd)

Finally the new heads arrived...

Image


Well then - put these heads on...

Image

Image


We have a long block... :)

Image
September 2011 (cont'd)

Put the clutch back together...

Image


Installed the push rods and rockers...

Image

Image

Image


Valve train completed...

Image
October 2011

Engine tin in place...

Image

Image


Test fitted the new stainless steel exhaust. Looked good at first glance...

Image


Now get that motor in...

Image

Image


Engine bay almost complete - just a few bits still missing... :)

Image
Wow, that looks so clean! Do you find it easier to handle the cooling/charging system after bolting the engine in?
schwim wrote: Do you find it easier to handle the cooling/charging system after bolting the engine in?
Yes with my engine set up (front oil cooler & dual carbs) this approach is easier IMHO.

Due to the fact that the original oil cooler is replaced by the way smaller oil thermostat the slightly
modified fan shroud can easily be fitted with the engine already in the car.
Hence the Bug needs to be lifted to a much lesser extend to get that "flat engine" in.
It's also more comfortable to mount the intake manifolds before the shroud goes in.

Below is a pic of the modified fan shroud. The needles dog house duct is blocked by a tin inside.
You can get a glimpse of that metal sheet at the hole for the accelerator cable lead through.
I cut out the lower portion of the dog house chamber to be able to put the fan shroud over the
thermostat assembly and stay clear of the deck lid hinges.

Image


March 2012

Hey, wake up - hibernation's over!

Image


Intake manifolds with equalizing pipes installed...

Image


Fan shroud fitted...

Image


Generator and carburetor linkage mounted. Again I turned a blind eye to possible cooling issues... :roll:

Image


Almost done...

Image


Well... Although it looked good while mounted to the engine on the bench,
that Memminger exhaust actually did not mesh with the rear apron... :(

Image

Phoned Memminger Senior regarding the issue but he refused to exchange the poorly welded exhaust. :( :(

Instead he advised me to either
- loosen the transmission mounts and rotate the whole power train until the tailpipes fit the rear apron,
or
- using the bulged rear apron of the later models - "that way the misalignment doesn't attract attention".
:shock: :shock: :shock:

So much for that! Form your own opinion...

The only reason why I kept that Sebring/Memminger botch was the fact that it's TÜV certified and street legal.
Now I have to find a way to fix that mess...
Previous 1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
149 posts Page 14 of 15

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: schwim and 3 guests

cron