Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
81 posts Page 8 of 9
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
schwim wrote: What were you doing there, digging some sort of foundation?
Digging a foundation of such vast dimensions and just using a trowel and a folding spade?? :lol:

Actually a gas pipeline was laid crossing a large area of high archaeological potential.
I had a job at the university as research assistant. Our task was pedological documentation,
soil profile analysis and soil sampling along the ditch.

Later laboratory processing of the soil samples followed like wet analysis for anthropogenic
indicators as well as phytogeographical analysis (pollen diagrams).
Also a few samples were prepared for dendrochronology and C14 age determination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaeogeography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoclimatology

I'll stop this gibberish gobbledegook now and will continue with air cooled related stuff soon... :D
March 1993

These pics below bring back some uncomfortable memories...
A crash heralded the beginning of the end of my longtime daily driver.

One afternoon I was on my way home when some oncoming goofball overtook a semi-trailer truck
ignoring that orange Bug in his way.

Thankfully I was able to avoid a head-on collision by a hair's breadth.
However that oncoming VW Polo tore away the Bug's exterior mirror before the main impact
occurred at the left rear wheel.

Without a left rear tire (only the bare rim was left) I had my hands full keeping the skidding Bug
clear of the oncoming traffic.
Again I was super lucky and finally came to a halt close to the right roadside ditch.

Unfortunately I have only a low quality photocopy of the pics taken for the investigation of damages.

Fender ripped off, bumper snapped off...

The tire was gone, the rim was useless , torsion bar housing/tube was seriously distorted...

Some offset here... :shock:

Seems the torsion bar was bent too...

The investigation of damages stated a total loss.
Anyway... With the help of a lever chain hoist and some "gentle" force we were able to
straighten the torsion bar housing/tube and welded it back to pan and body.
Wheel alignment looked good and a test drive confirmed that directional stability was OK.

As sure as eggs is eggs with that chassis welding there was no way the Bug could pass the
upcoming vehicle inspection in autumn '94. Sad but true - Orange's days were numbered... :(

October 1994

I already failed to meet the deadline for Orange's vehicle inspection so it was high time to get another
daily driver roadworthy.

During Summer '93 my brother grew weary of his Bug but instead of selling it we had the smart sense
to keep it in the barn.

Bro played hardball - a few major issues had to be fixed: rust, dents, worn brakes and heavy backfire.

Note the sorry condition of Orange...

Reconditioned the engine and here's the cause for the backfiring: a cracked exhaust valve... :shock:

Once again some "roller action"...

Bye bye Orange... :(

February 1995

June1996

Another update of Red's audio system.

New Becker Grand Prix head unit - opinions on the look/design may differ...

Emphaser EA 475 amp with Brax E-Cap mounted in the trunk...

Removed the eye catching speaker cabinets in favor of a more stealth like looking system...

The high and mid range speaker drivers were the same ones I used with the "satellite" enclosures before.
They were combined with two dual voice coil woofers, each driver was mounted in a tuned separate enclosure.

Wow, what a sano looking audio setup! I love the speaker box, well done!
damn, digging that stereo set up!
just because it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it wont be a good time

schwim wrote: Wow, what a sano looking audio setup! I love the speaker box, well done!
Super_Randy wrote: damn, digging that stereo set up!
Thanks for the kind words!
That speaker box worked very well for quite a while but in the meantime it was removed from Red
and cut in halves to obtain two woofer cabinets which now serve the living room and office... :)

July1998

For whatever reason I added these stickers to the white Bug's rear window and
the upper corners of the front quarter panels sometime back in '95.
Ever since that bug was know as Ninja...

In September '98 I took up another job and had to commute 75 miles to Frankfurt weekly.
A 55 mph Bug at the German "Autobahn" during rush-hour traffic - that is super scary!
So I decided to trade Ninja for an Audi in December '98.
Well... That marked the end of the "daily driving a Bug" era...

Here are the very last pics (taken by a buddy in July '98) before I sold Ninja:

What happened to Ninja during the next years? Well... Have a look here.

August 1999

A bit off topic - no air cooled vehicles in this post...

The '85 Audi 80 quattro that replaced Ninja...

June 2000

No Bugs but another classic small car...

Ooooh, was that your mini? If so, we're going to need more details on that as well :)
schwim wrote: Ooooh, was that your mini? If so, we're going to need more details on that as well :)

X2
mini's are cool. i have a mini RC car. also someone around me has a real one. i keep seeing it in the morning on my way to work. it's almost comical how small it is, but damn does it seem to be a zippy little thing :shock:
just because it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it wont be a good time
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
81 posts Page 8 of 9