Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
110 posts Page 7 of 11
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
May 1991

Type 3 had to pause - Bug driving season started...

Replaced the MAHAG exhaust system with a home made stainless steel reproduction...

A later version with different tail pipes...

Also added some bling to the engine bay...

A few notes...
  • The Taiwan made ignition coil lasted for three months or so.
    Lesson learned, went back to genuine Bosch.
  • There are endless discussions about the pros and cons of an additional fuel filter.
    IMHO one doesn't need one but back then I thought this chrome/glass combo would look cool so I added it.
    But again Taiwan made crap... These filters have poorly made threads inside and tend to fall apart!
    Happened to me once - the whole engine bay was fuel-flooded!
  • Making this generator cover fit was a pain...
    The holes for the terminals were misplaced so I rotated the generator to position the hem of the cover at the bottom.
    Well, well... I ignored possible generator cooling issues as well as the fact that the effective radius of the generator
    changed because of that cover... Thus the fit between generator and generator stand was defective!
    Nevertheless that engine set up ran for many years without any issues.
July 1991

Preparing my brother's daily '71 Super for the upcoming vehicle inspection.
Some of the usual patchwork was required...

Seems it was fun - at times at least...

Welding and filling done, waiting for the paint job...

August 1991

Paint job done... DIY in the garage with a paint roller.

Applying some wax...

That handsome Bug passed vehicle inspection without any issues...

That looks pretty incredible for a roller! Any tricks and tips like thinning it with something or was it just making a paintjob happen?
schwim wrote: That looks pretty incredible for a roller!
For the most part this is due to the low res pic! :lol:

schwim wrote: Any tricks and tips like thinning it with something or was it just making a paintjob happen?
Painted all my daily driver Bugs using a roller. They were budget workhorses but I didn't want them to look like clunkers.

I used alkyd resin based enamel paint adjust to brushing consistency. Adding some hardening agent helps to increase durability.
Get some different sized foam rollers and quality brushes and off we go...
Due to the (relatively) slow drying of resin based enamel paint dust is not to be sneezed at. ;)

There is a bit of a learning curve but after some trial and error the results are not that bad.
The trick is to go easy at a good pace and like "do it right at the first time"... That's easier said than done.

If you roll over the same fresh area several times a perfect orange peel effect will develop!
With my orange Bugs I always stated that effect was created by intention simply to emulate the fruit! :lol:

September 1991

Took the Notchback's body off...
Note the ridiculous timber trestle construction the body rested on... :shock:

January 1992

Rough-and-ready set up...

Started to remove some of that under body coating...

The pan...

January 1992 (cont'd)

Roughly cleaned suspension and transmission parts:

The engine as it came out of the car - a desolate sight...

Well...
Regrettably the project lost it's momentum during the next few month. It came to a shutdown actually.
I became quite busy with my studies (and a job) at the university. There wasn't much room for excessive
air cooled adventures for the next few years. The Notch virtually sank into oblivion...

Finally - more than ten years later - I had to accept the inevitable: due to lack of time I would never be able to
finish that project in the way I originally envisioned it. We will speed the Notch on its way later in this thread... :(
March 1992

Set up a new sound system for Red (the Bug) that fits the luggage area behind the rear seats.
Didn't take photos back then so here's sort of a reconstruction of the speaker and enclosure layout.

Budget amp (aka the crappy acoustic rev meter). :D It was mounted in the trunk...

Head unit was still a Pioneer KPH-4120SDK...

Last but not least a Sony Discman D-33 was mounted between the seats using a flexible gooseneck.
It was connected to the amp via a volume pot (cigarette lighter knob) and a toggle switch below the dash...

August 1992

About that time I earned my nickname... In our local dialect/patois "Maddel" means mud or muddy! :D

Wow I feel like we've unlocked some sort of clue to you! What were you doing there, digging some sort of foundation?
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
110 posts Page 7 of 11