the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

i inspected the front rubber lines yesterday. they're still flexible, no signs cracking or spongyness. also no signs of leaks. going to pull the drums on the front anyway cause they're stuck. probably going to have to try to adjust them down away from the drum and then hope the drums come off cause i don't have a puller.

as for the rears. ill cross that hurtle when i get there.

i swear, if it needs brakes im just swapping over to disc. it'll set me back time wise but i don't care.

edit:
found the leak. at least the first leak. passenger side wheel cylinder is leaking like a sieve. haven't checked the drives side yet. had to stop for breakfast. but everything is covered in a nice fine layer of ewwww.... :lol:
so after breakfast ill check the drivers side then if im feeling froggy, the rears.
im OK with just changing a wheel cylinder or two.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

Are the shoes coated in eewwwww? If not, cylinders and done!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

yes, shoes are covered in ewwww... i shot'm with brake cleaner and seem to clean. but why spend $12 on a wheel cylinder when i can put disc brakes on the front? i want 4 wheel disc on it, this just moves me halfway there. i was checking out the Topline Parts site and they're front disc kit says it uses the stock master cylinder so i shouldn't have to replace that until i do the rears (?). hopefully ill find the time to call them up and run out there next week.

brake kit - https://toplineparts.com/product/disc-b ... r-87-0988/

and in other news im now fighting a stuck adjuster on the passenger side rear :roll: have i ever mentioned i really don't like messing with brakes?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

in an interesting turn of events the passenger side rear drum is coming the hell off :twisted:
they won't really adjust correctly. i tried to bleed them and a good stream of clear fluid comes out suggesting that no air is in the lines. but when you step on the peddle the brake doesn't work.
so im kinda pissed off wtf right now. i hate rear brakes. i hate that damn 36mm castle nut. i dislike dealing with the parking brake.

edit:
took the rear drum off. use dynamite and a jackhammer to remove the adjusters. after dealing with homeland security i cleaned them up, slathered them in anti seize and reinstalled them. put everything back together. adjusted the brake, bled the brake. brake doesn't work. only thing i can figure at this point is the wheel cylinder is seized up. and all i did to check it out while i was in there was look under the boots to see if it was leaking. :x
schwim
Site Admin

Any chance of a faulty MC? I've installed new ones that were no good, not to mention the failing of the older ones.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

doubtful, the drivers side rear works. all i did was adjust it and bleed it to get fresh-er fluid in the wheel cylinder and it works. the front brakes work as well, even the leaking passenger side front.
the passenger side rear is acting like it's not getting fluid but i know it is cause i can have someone press the peddle and i can crack the bleeder screw and fluid comes pouring out under pressure just like it should. i think the pistons in the wheel cylinder are stuck. i might be able to free them up idk. im thinking maybe spray some penetrating lube in under the boots and compress them with a C clamp or something. im having a MAJOR case of the Mondays otherwise id go mess with it. but the weather is supposed to be good the rest of the week so maybe ill pull the drum off and have another look tomorrow or something.
Maddel

Penetrating lube may harm the cylinder's rubber parts.
Regardless of penetrating lube - if you're able to free the piston the cylinder will leak after a while most likely.
Your bug sat for quite a while. There's a good chance all brake cylinders are defective. :(
Just my two cents.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

iv used Prolong SPL 100 on rubber and plastics before without issue (mostly on RC car parts). seems safe. i did get the pistons unstuck.
i pulled the boots off, sprayed the pistons. let it soak for about 10 minutes. then used a screwdriver to try to spin them. they freed up with little effort. pulled the pistons out, cleaned them with brake cleaner lubed them up with brake fluid and reinstalled them. they move freely and the brakes work again, noticeable difference in the peddle. going to let it sit for a few days to see if they leak any.

im not looking for a permanent fix, just something to hold me through the summer sense the rears will be getting disc brakes at some point as well.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

today's update. wheel cylinder isn't leaking and still works!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

wheel cylinder still seems to be holding fluid and working!

also, this happened.