the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Maddel

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

schwim wrote: May 28th, 2023, 11:20 pmThat's fantastic news, man! Video please!
x2 8-)
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

no video, or pic's. i hit the gas station and was going to snap a pic with my phone but as i was finishing pumping the station was getting kinda busy and i didn't want to be "that guy". no video cause i can't film and shift at the same time. everything seemed to go ok, accept for the part where it dropped RPM and died leaving a red light. i had to push it to another gas station and fiddle with it. not sure exactly what caused it, but it did fire up again after about 5 minutes.

it's got a weird "knocking" sound coming out of the back somewhere. i can only compare it to the time my generator pully came loose, but it's tight. i even pulled over once to check it. im wondering if the bearings in the generator are going bad. which means it's time for an alternator.

im going to let it cool down, then ill go out there and check to see if anything's loose. then probably drive it around again. put another 10 or so miles on it.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright took it for another spin, not driving it to work tomorrow. when the engine is up to temp and it has to sit at idle for any length of time (about 10 seconds+) it doesn't want to pull away. i can hit the gas, the RPM will come to up 14-1500 then it falls on it's face bogs and wants to die. it died on me twice. luckily it refired after cranking it for about 7 seconds. when cranking after that it starts off sluggish, then the starter seems to shift into second gear and it wants to fire but doesn't want to idle until i blip the throttle a few times. by the end of my drive (about 30 minutes) i was having to pull away from a stop at about 3000 RPM after reving it a few times to "clear it out". so i need to figure out wtf is going on. right now im thinking carb issue.
Maddel

Great news that "Bumblebee" (you hate this nick I guess :lol:) is back on the road again after so many years! 8-)
Although these (expected) initial hiccups suck. :?
And yes your report sounds like a carb and/or fuel issue most likely.
Just a few catchwords that crossed my mind:
fuel pressure, float level, foreign objects, cold start thingy, adjustment screws (again?), vacuum leak, ignition setup...
May be you have another carb at hand for a test?
Good luck man! ;)
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

well the carb sat in the garage for 9 years and all i did was look at it and then bolt it on. it's highly possible that it's got a clog somewhere.
iv been thinking about it. i need to check the idle cut off thingy on the side of the carb (iv had hot running issues with that before). it's possible diaphragms have dried out as well. also wondering if the jetting is bad. need to check the spark plugs.
even though it runs, its still not idling 100% right. it wants to idle at about 750 - 800RPM which is a little low (should be up at 850 to 900). the carb is still jetted for a stock 1600 and now i's got a 1600 with SCAT C20 cam so i would think it needs more fuel :?

im thinking i need to clean the snot out of it and throw a rebuild kit at it as well as some bigger jets. i think i have jets that are one size up (?) i have to look.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

ok i did some fiddling after work today.
pulled the idle solenoid. it's sloppy and doesn't seem to have a whole lot of range of movement, ill test it at work tomorrow. hook it up to the test panel for a while, see if it holds. iv got a couple more, one that's practically new, but couldn't find it. ill look again tomorrow maybe.
pulled the pilot jet and found that it was damaged. looks like it was put in to tight and got squished. the holes were somewhat closed and noticeably elongated. it was supposed to be a 60, but the holes in my 55 were visibly bigger so i put the 55 in.
then i pulled the plug in the float and top of the carb off and pulled the main jet out. best way i can explain it, it looked like it had carbon build up on it. couldn't read the size but i threw in a clean 127.
then i pulled the air correction jet/emulsion tube, looked at confused. looked at my donor from my OG German carb, they looked the same. but the German one had nicer looking holes so i shot some carb cleaner through it and installed it.

haven't tried testing it yet. don't want to mess with it until i test or replace the idle solenoid.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

anyone know how hot an idle solenoid is supposed to get?
schwim
Site Admin

That sounds like an internal short to me. It's just an electromagnet and shouldn't get very hot at all. At least not any that I've been around.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

i hooked them to the test panel at work. they both work. but both get very hot after about 15 minutes. like don't touch them for more than a few seconds hot. im assuming they would cool down if screwed into an aluminum carb. sense the carb body would be acting like a heatsink.
oddly enough the newer and probably in better condition of the 2 gets hotter. but it also seems to have about a 1/16 more of travel. so idk wtf. probably just going to give that one a shot.

also anyone know i they're a pipe thread or if i can just stick a bold in the hole and not run one. which brings up the question, what size and thread are they?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

to answer my own question. M10-1.0