the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

the never ending project. 71 super build

this is going to be a long running build thread for my 71 super.
first some background.
i bought this car in September 1999. im the third owner, the second owner bought it in 1973. it was in solid driving condition and was stock.

in early 2001 (still in high school) i started doing body work and after high school used graduation money to buy a Top Line Parts super low kit to lower the front (set for a 3" drop).

[Image

in 2003 i started taking auto body classes at a local college to further the body work and fix some minor rust. as i was working on it it kept getting stripped further and further until it was a rolling shell.
floor pan under the battery rust repair.

and behind the backseat under the window. a cool note is that the patch is from a mid 60's bug and i had dug it out of the scrap bin at school. and after it was patched i coated it in bed liner to help prevent any further rust issues.

the stripped shell. the black stuff in the fender wells is more bed liner.

Last edited by Super_Randy on July 7th, 2017, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

the next step. paint! i went with your basic bright ass yellow. (it's actually ginster yellow taken from a 98 GTI) shot the engine compartment, trunk, door jambs and interior in the backyard and shot the outside in a spray booth at school.

also, cleaned out, resealed, and repainted the gas tank.

then came reassembly. i started with wiring and moved on to the dash and interior. new headliner, carpet, dash pad, and door panels.

Last edited by Super_Randy on July 8th, 2017, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

the engine.
the stock 1600 duel port was taken apart

and then catastrophe happened

so a well used 1600 long block was found, finished, and installed

at this point the car was now a runner. but there's more to come, so stay tuned. ill probably get the thread fully caught up this weekend.
Last edited by Super_Randy on July 8th, 2017, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65VW

hmmm, this seems like a re-run.

How is the Bug doing now?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so far it is a re-run. i started at the beginning and im working it up to the current state of the project.

the current state, it hasn't had an engine sense late 2014 but iv been slowly working on other small things and acquiring parts.
65VW

Cool.

I always thought your paint looked really good and still cant believe you did parts at home and the body yourself, same as Greg did with his LPHV setup.
Painting larger things is the one part of VW work I have never done but wish I could do myself.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so we're up to the driving portion of the thread.

joined a club and took it to a couple shows.
drag day at Irwindale

and Bug-In at the California speedway
Last edited by Super_Randy on July 8th, 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

after putting several hundred miles in it i got tired of the sloppy front end and the clanking sound when hitting bumps, and the EMPI header i installed in high school was falling apart so i bought some parts. seat rail runners thing to keep the seat from wobbling around, bugpack j-tubes and header, and bugpack black urithane bushing

i modified the header. chopped the heat risers off, sand blasted it and repainted with some VHT high temp header paint.
Last edited by Super_Randy on July 8th, 2017, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so then i drove it for a while again, and then this happened. lady in a Prius came out of a parking lot and didn't se me.

so i had to fix it

made a makeshift paint booth in the backyard and fresh paint was applied

(note, the taillight was not re-sprayed, its just there as a color comparison)
Last edited by Super_Randy on July 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so then October 2014 rolls around and the engine crapped out. lost compression on 2 cylinders do to worn out rings and a worn out head. so that landed me here.

so in January 2015 i got fed up with having it as a daily driver and a project. and replaced it as a daily driver with this.
a brand new 2015 Toyota Tacoma. (cool note, this picture was taken at Bug-In)

and then lost interest for a while.
i had extra heads and pistons and cylinders for the bug engine so i finally dug those out cleaned them up a little and i have halfway re-assembled it. sorry no pic available at this time. but im actually 2 rusted up and broken exhaust studs away from finishing that engine and hopefully getting the car moving under its own power.

iv also bought lots of new parts for a new 1776cc engine. aluminum case, CB Performance 69mm counterweighted crank, CB super race rods, CB lightened flywheel, straight cut gears (can't remember if there CB or Bugpack), SCAT degree crank pulley. still have my 110 cam and forged 90.5 pistons/cylinders

im starting to find some motivation again, so after the stock engine is back together the plan is disc brakes, finish rebuilding the front end (new ball joints, rebuild the steering box and maybe idler arm bushing, replace a bent tie rod) install tach, oil temp, oil pressure, and volts gauges. swap to an alternator. swap to an electric fuel pump. and then take the engine and trans out, have the trans rebuilt and beefed up and assembly that new 1776.

also at some point i need to address some minor rust around the back passenger quarter window and rear window (going to swap to cal-look window rubber when i do this), rebuild the running boards cause they're really starting to show there age. and do more paint work cause the drivers side front fender and hood are sun damaged and the clear coat is coming off.
Last edited by Super_Randy on July 8th, 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.