the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... the battery apparently still hold's a charge.
and i upgraded the rear speakers. got some decent 6x9's in nice boxes. also got a box for my 10" sub (still need to get an amp though) so things are moving in a direction. not sure which direction that is yet, but's A direction!
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

Awesome to hear it man. What are your plans for the sub? Under the 6x9s?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

idk, hoping it all fits behind the backseat. going to be tight, sub box is bigger than i remember. i measured about 10 years ago so yeah... i should probably look into that. might have to kick it old school and put the sub in the backseat :lol:
Maddel

Ah, some good news! What about some pics? I'm nosy... ;)

FWIW - brainstorming may be...

Here are the dimensions of a speaker cabinet that should (tight) fit a '71 Bug's luggage area behind the rear seat.
Measures are in centimeters. Material is 15 millimeter thick plywood.

Top view:

Side view:

My plan was to integrate enclosures for the mid range speakers too.
The result would be two about 35 liter cabinets for the EMPHASER EF10N-G5 woofers.

Finally I discarded the project...
IMHO that fat sound system would add too much weight to the rear axle.

Instead I'll try and find a way to somehow hide this "tiny" AXTON AXB20A system under the rear seat on the drivers side.
Looks huge in that pic but it's a 20 centimeter active woofer with a passive membrane on the backside in a 10 liter enclosure.
Anyway - a complete different enclosure design needs to be developed to make this thing fit... :roll:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

it all fit. i had to turn the 6x9 boxes sideways, no big deal, still sounds good. sense i still need an amp (which im now thinking im going to have to mount in the trunk unfortunately (unless i find a small one that fits under the backseat).
my picture taking camera battery is crap, maybe you'll get lucky and my video camera will work...
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

i was feeling ambitious :o
video camera does pictures to, forgot about that.

the quick video
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote:i was feeling ambitious
Thanks for taking and posting the pics and vid! 8-)

Do you plan to turn the the 6x9's in a way that the speakers face upwards?
May be flush mount with the top side of the sub?

Super_Randy wrote: i still need an amp which im now thinking im going to have to mount in the trunk unfortunately unless i find a small one that fits under the backseat.
I had an Emphaser EA 475 amp mounted in the trunk for many years. I'll post a few pics int the "APIT" thread soon.
Aren't these modern Class D amps much smaller? May be one will fit under the rear seat.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

no plans on turning the 6x9's. don't need to. as they are it fills the car with sound.
idk about amps anymore. i haven't payed attention to car audio sense shortly after high school. idk what's out there anymore. and iv forgotten more that most people will ever know :roll:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

i might as well casually mention this. i bought some POR15 and a new Hot VW's car cover (really nice cover btw. and came with free stickers!)
so the plan is, weather pending, start with the drivers side rear window, pull it out, POR15 under the rubber and reinstall the window with the new cal look rubber iv had in the garage for about 2 years now :roll: then do the windshield (both those windows seem to be rust free that's why im starting with them) then move to the back window and rear passenger side cause it's got some nasty going under the bottom edge. not sure i have enough POR15 but we'll see.

side bets on how long it actually takes me to start on, and complete this job? :lol:

oh, and i got bored the other day after pulled the old car cover off and laid the 6x9's down so they face upwards now. #makingmoves
schwim
Site Admin

I'd make snarky comments about your projected start and completion time but I can't reach you with this stone from my glass house.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk