the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

ok, Magna Spark installed. idle has smoothed out, it's not dropping or surging anymore. timing at idle is a solid 8 degrees and 30 degrees at full advance. i have a VDO tach i need to wire up so i can tune the carb. i attempted it by ear and got it better. the big bypass screw that wasn't doing anything is now doing something! it actually sounds pretty damn good now, and isn't smelling nearly as rich.

also ordered some 5.5 wheels from CIP1. they're being shipped to to my work so hopefully ill have those sometime next week.

and the unstuck rear wheel cylinder is still holding up and functioning.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so i just spent 6 hours running 3 damn SAE spec 16 gauge wires from the engine to the trunk. :evil:
so maybe next weekend i can finish mounting and wiring up the gauges in there permanent home under the dash.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

rear wheels came today! according to tracking DHL got them from BC Canada to So Cal in 4 days! :shock:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

gauges are in and wired except for the lights. which i started and then had a small wire fire during testing :shock: luckily it only took out the red power wire that goes for the fuse box to the headlight switch. it only lightly damaged the insulation on 3 other wires. i "fixed" those with shrink tubing (it was more of a precaution than necessary) id say it was fun but i was sitting in the trunk with it when it happened! it happened 3 hours ago and i can still smell it.

i also got the tach mounted and mostly wired up. still don't even know if it works, or if it'll work with the new distributor/ignition. i can't remember the details, but i may have to put a diode between the coil and gauge. i know some of the pointless systems have this issue. need to research it.

also not sure my oil temp gauge is fully working. the needle moves when i turn the key, but after running for about 4 minutes it's still not showing any temp. which brings up the question how long does it take for the oil to get to at least 120 degrees?

edit:
forgot i took a couple pic's of the damaged wire

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so the gauges are in and functioning. the oil temp gauge is now functioning as well. not sure if taking the wire off the the gauge and putting it back fixed it or if the oil wasn't getting hot enough, but it works so im not complaining.
also, while i was in there i replaced hazard switch. been meaning to do that for over a decade but didn't want to take the back of the dash apart.
also readjusted the carb. its now holding about 850 rpm at idle and has a nice crisp throttle response. also not running nearly as rich anymore.
and checked the rear wheel cylinder again. still no leaks and brakes are working. just need to bleed them and im calling the rears good.

hoping to have the tires mounted on the new rear wheels later this next week. we'll see how that goes.
schwim
Site Admin

That's some great oil pressure!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

that's cold. when its warm it drops down to just over 40 at idle. which is still really damn good at idle
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

rear tires mounted (and that's not ride height, the cars still on jack stands)
im liking the offset difference between the 5.5's on the rear and 4.5's on the front.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

and now the eccentric bolt on the passenger side is stripped (threads) so i can't do anything with the alignment until i replace it :roll:

which also means i was driving the car on a stripped eccentric bolt and would have had changing chamber :shock: