the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

alright im looking for everyone's .02 cents.
im planning ahead, the seats are the last part of the interior i need to finish (well aside from wanting to redo the headliner do to crappy install) and i got some color samples form TMI. i know the seats will be #90 smooth Saddle vinyl. but i want an insert in the seats, which leads to this question. which color? iv narrowed it down to 2 with a questionable third. im not giving my opinion, but using these pic's, what combo would you pic?
left to right. #74 Sand Tweed, R5 Brown/Beige Velour, #54 Beige Velour. i snapped some pic's in sunlight and shade for comparison. moving square is the #90 Saddle vinyl.

and cause options and angles are always good when it comes to color here they are on #90 Saddle door panel
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

#2 and then #1 are my faves.
Maddel

I'm totally NOT into Velour so I opt for #74 Sand Tweed.
I also like the color combo #90 Saddle / #74 Sand best.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

i actually like the #54 Beige Velour with the Saddle vinyl best. but im a bad back and butt sweater and always seem to be dirty so im not sure how well that Beige would hold up. it would probably wind up smudged, stained and/or discolored in no time flat. it's a driver not a show car so durability means more than looks (at least to a point) so im 90% sure going with the #90 Saddle vinyl with #74 Sand Tweed insert.

anyone have any experience with velour interiors? Maddel im looking your direction sense you seem to have an opinion on the material :P the only thing iv been able to find was a post on the samba where someone said they had a velour interior back in the day and it wore out fast and the seams got dirty. but didn't mention how long it lasted.
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: May 8th, 2023, 8:05 pm... anyone have any experience with velour interiors? Maddel im looking your direction sense you seem to have an opinion on the material :P the only thing iv been able to find was a post on the samba where someone said they had a velour interior back in the day and it wore out fast and the seams got dirty. but didn't mention how long it lasted.
I was kid in the '70s you know... Over here it was common to wear corduroy trousers and velour shirts back then. :?
I hated it :evil: and made desperate efforts to convince my parents to buy me a pair of jeans (plus a jacket of course). :D
So I'm prejudiced against velour (may be even traumatized) and never had a car with such an interior. :lol:

Below a pic of the velour interior of a Mercedes-Benz 600. Not my cup of tea but must be durable stuff if they chose this material...

schwim
Site Admin

You'd break into cold sweats if you had to sit in the El Camino :)

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

that pic reinforces my thinking that velour will get dirty/stained. that drives seat looks filthy and i bet it won't clean well.
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:27 pm that pic reinforces my thinking that velour will get dirty/stained. that drives seat looks filthy and i bet it won't clean well.
I'm no fan of it but that being said, I don't know of a lot of fabrics that will stand up to 35+ years of dirty asses. The hard vinyl steering wheel is filthier than the seats. The vinyl/cloth seats in my Bronco are ruined as well.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

well i broke down Sunday and ordered a front disc brake kit and chamber bolts. they came today. so iv got plans this weekend 8-)
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

sense the passenger side is the one leaking i figured id start on the drivers side :P that's as far as i got today. installing the bearing races in the disc took longer than expected. and fought me more than i expected. :x