Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

i hope you put front shock towers in the cart when you ordered that tie rod ;)
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

I think I'm going to have to do some creative cutting to the front clip before I make some. From what I've read, I'm at the threshold for fitting some and that's with a straight nose. Mine's all crumpled so I know I'm not going to fit them if I just throw some on there. I'm going to wait until I can drop the body before I decide on how I'm going handle them. Maybe get a little creative with their placement.

Time will tell how I end up sticking them in up there :)
schwim
Site Admin

Shortened the tierods, retapped, cross cut and beveled them so my shit doesn't self-adjust while driving.

Cleaned up a couple years worth of the latest round of dust and debris:

Installed the rear brake lines. Need to drill and tap for the distribution block. Current captured nut is too rusted to hold the retaining bolt.
schwim
Site Admin

Today was a mish-mash of little things. I drilled and tapped the mount for the brake distribution mount and installed the rear hard lines. I removed the pedal assembly, wire tied the clutch cable, reinstalled, cleaned up the brake pushrod's threads, sandblasted and painted the shift rod cover plates, installed that nifty little brake and clutch pedal stop plate and replaced the swing axle boots.

I ordered brake line clips and grommets, some metal for the body and I ordered some different torsion rod rubber bushings as I'm pretty sure the ones I installed are the wrong ones.

Another thing I want to put here is landau foam and fabric for a simple headliner. I saw this over on the Samba and I think I might use the idea:

schwim
Site Admin

I installed some air shocks to the rear. I'm hoping I can get it up where it might need to be for any inspection Virginia might have :)

The front will have to wait until the body is on so I can make some shock towers that work with the narrowed beam. The front end is reassembled, brakes are installed, all lines are tightened and I'm just waiting on a reservoir and grommets to install on top of the mastercylinder.

I also ordered the throwout bearing as it seems it's the one thing I never ordered. When that shows up, the engine will go on and the pan will be rolled out of the basement and under the covered area beside the house. Battery ordered as well so there might be some sparky spark and putt putt by the end of the week!

(but probably not)
Maddel

Busy as a beaver - a quantum leap towards a rolling chassis!! 8-)
schwim wrote:... there might be some sparky spark and putt putt by the end of the week!
Now THAT would be awesome...
schwim
Site Admin

We have a contract on the house so I'm trying to get the pan and body back together so I can fill it with parts and load it on a flatbed for towing to Virginia. We're going for a visit next week meaning I'll lose a week of work on it so it's crunch time.

Now that the house is done, I have to readily admit when I'm just trying to keep from working on it. I'm having to embrace my procrastination hangover:
The Procrastination Hangover
Procrastination is often a symptom of perfectionism. Because perfectionists fear being unable to complete a task perfectly, they put it off as long as possible. This stems from the fear that not meeting the goal means that there is something bad, wrong or unworthy inside of them.
Having perfectionism tendencies isn't an issue. Having those tendencies while knowing you can't do that good of work creates this weird cycle of dodging what you know you have to do. It's why this car has been in pieces since I bought it. Now, I have to embrace my lack of skill and just get the car together, results be damned :)
Maddel

schwim wrote:We have a contract on the house so I'm trying to get the pan and body back together so I can fill it with parts and load it on a flatbed for towing to Virginia. We're going for a visit next week meaning I'll lose a week of work on it so it's crunch time.
Wow, the "house affair" went swimmingly. ;)
I keep my fingers crossed and hope you'll find something new timely (if you haven't already).
schwim wrote:The Procrastination Hangover
AKA "Studentensyndrom". Something I experienced with my thesis back then. :D

schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote:Image
That's my whole life! :)

Got my throwout bearing, fuel line and some other stuff so I'm going to try to get some stuff done. The buyers are having some inspections tomorrow so I don't know how much time I'll get to work on it but hopefully I'll get it ready for engine install! Fingers crossed!
schwim
Site Admin

It won't be running this week but the engine is on!

We're loading a U-Haul tomorrow to take some of our stuff to Virginia so we don't have so much to move when we finally close and it's time to head that way.