Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
65VW

Re: Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

Nice work.

With all you have going on that is great progress!
It takes alot of time, commitment, and especially discipline and motivation to do all that work.

Hopefully you will get the body back on the pan soon so you will be able to tow it to your new home

All the work you did makes me feel like a lazy slug.
I need to replace my family Bug's front brake lines (slow fluid release when lifting off brakes and I replaced all other bits but these lines) and I have had the replacement parts for weeks but they did not come with any motivation so there they sit.
I did wash that bug today and plan to drive it but lately my motivation for working on them needs a kick in the ass.

Keep up the good work and I hope things settle after school starts.
schwim
Site Admin

Thanks a bunch sir. I've not gotten to work on it since between brutal purging of belongings, house improvements and down time where I can't do much of anything. I'm hoping to hop back on it soon.

I have to get the heater channels rebuilt completely and I want to get the rear wing on and front clip hammered out a bit before I mate the two but realistically, I might have to leave the clip and wing for after they're mated. The front clip might require the use of a comealong to get it where I need it.
Maddel

schwim wrote:... brutal purging of belongings ...
That sounds scary! :shock:
At times it's salutary to declutter things... However it's a painful struggle... :?
Hopefully you can keep the better part of "the essential stuff" (and that's clearly a matter of opinion). ;)
schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote:
schwim wrote:... brutal purging of belongings ...
That sounds scary! :shock:
At times it's salutary to declutter things... However it's a painful struggle... :?
Hopefully you can keep the better part of "the essential stuff" (and that's clearly a matter of opinion). ;)
It's been a journey of growing as a person as I take things I never thought I'd get rid of to the thrift store :)

I'll likely be getting rid of almost all my carpentry and woodworking tools. I'll also be getting rid of a lot of big stuff like the blast cabinet, compressor and leaving things like my shop benches and tables. Pretty much all the houses have garages but for the obvious reason, lack a basement so I won't have the space needed for all the stuff I keep in there.

Upstairs, we're cleaning out rooms and closets to cut down what we have to pack. We're doing pretty good but my wife doesn't like the thinning out of Christmas decorations from 12 boxes to 3 at all :)
Maddel

Was concerned a bit about that Hurricane approaching NC... :shock:
Luckily Florence lost some power onshore and it It seems you'll be spared from heavy winds.
However there'll be much rain I guess...
I keep my fingers crossed for you and your family to get through these difficult times.
Take care!
schwim
Site Admin

Hello there, sir and thanks for the kind thoughts!

We were incredibly lucky and the hurricane took a left turn, giving us only the most minor amounts of rain.

I was really scared when I first learned about it heading straight at us. I was afraid that it would knock Zippy off of his precarious perch.

Crisis averted!
schwim
Site Admin

Been down due to physical stuff but I've got this on it's way.

Cost more than I'm happy paying but I've already wasted money on two cheaper brands only to find that all parts but especially the doorpillar portions are just terrible.

When I get back from family fun time in a week, I hope to brave the cold to get some welding done before the weather turns ill again.
Maddel

Heya - a sign of life! :)

Was a bit concerned about the silence lately but I guess you're super busy with house/home affairs.

Well fitting panels are rare so hopefully the funky green stuff will do.
Bugs aren't the cheap rides we knew in our younger days anymore.

Get well soon Sir!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Zippy will become roadworthy in time for the move.
schwim
Site Admin

Missing a lot of pictures in the wake of the Flickr apocalypse but I'll try to go back and repair some of it if I can remember what the posts were supposed to be about :)

Today, we played with some paint stripper, some rough grit paper, matte black paint and satin clear paint so Chloe could see what I was thinking in terms of finish. I love bare metal(not the rust called patina), I like the idea of blacking out the trim and wanted to see a bit of panel to get an idea of what I would end up with. I also want to put an offset rally stripe on the hood, roof and decklid, I was thinking black for that as well but my daughter votes for red or my favorite color, orange. I think I should probably allow her to decide on the color palette :)

Some pics!

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

clear will not keep a bare metal panel from surface rusting, you know that right?
and if you're taking a vote on trim color, i vote neon pink :lol:
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful