Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

fuel pump plumbed (with hose clamps)
clutch installed
air filter installed
oil pressure gauge/idiot light sensor installed

once i clean up the trans and install the new throw out bearing, i think the engine can go in the car.

probably all im getting done this weekend... (...maybe...) need brake cleaner and im to lazy to go to the auto parts store. also don't want to risk loosing my parking spot...
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright stopped by the auto parts store after work yesterday and got engine degreaser rather than brake clean. it was cheaper and i thought it would do a better job. which i think it did. sprayed it down, went under there with a brush and a rag and not only inhaled fumes i probably shouldn't have but i made mess in the driveway as well (even with a tray under most of it :roll: ). cleaned off decades of gunk caused by the typical VW oil leaks. it's not perfect but it's 100x's better than it was. so after the driveway and transmission dry (degreaser gets sprayed off with water) i can take a stab at swapping out that throwout bearing.

edit:
add drain the gas tank and install new rubber line from the hard line to engine to the list of todays accomplishments. (going to do under the tank sooner than later as well. just not today)

also tried to have some fun. poured the gas in metal tray and tried to light it on fire. i was throwing lit matches in it and all it was doing was putting out the matches. that gas with ethanol in it from 2014 sucks! :lol:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so im digging through a nondescript box of random VW parts and what do i find? not just one, but two chrome generator pully nuts! so i finally found that. but now iv got the question of where the hell did the second one come from?
i remember the first one kept coming loose so i put the stock nut back on. it also kept coming loose and eventually jacked up the chrome pulley and woodruff key so i put another non chrome pulley on it with the stock nut and new woodruff key and the problem was solved. this second chrome nut is lightly used, but in much better shape than the first one but i don't remember ever buying a second chrome nut. :?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

front tires are being mounted.
they couldn't (or wouldn't) mount the rears saying the tires were to wide for the wheels. so... i ether need to go pick up some 5.5" stock chrome wheels. or track down some chrome 8 spokes at a price im willing to pay. but at least the front will be on the ground by days end!

front is mounted and on the ground (for now, still have to jack it back up to replace the fuel line under the tank :roll: )
smaller than the 145's that were on it, but they'll clear the fender at full steering lock will a full tank of gas. also wider so maybe ill quit locking the front up under heavy braking.

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so this happened today
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:51 pmso this happened today
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

todays progress:
header and muffler installed
fuel line under gas tank replaced (glad i did that one, it looked ok, but was actually kinked under the tank and dried out on the ends) and made sure i had fuel at the pump
put high zink break in oil in the engine (lightly over filled but whatever)
found the 2 missing screws that hold the airbox in behind the dash and installed that "correctly" ;)

idk if ill do anymore today. im fighting a pinched nerve in my back that's causing a stiff neck. it's 3 o'clock and id really like to mow the backyard, dog went out there to whiz this morning and got lost for 15 minutes :lol:

edit:
ended up doing more.
because of where the coil is mounted i had to make longer wires for the idle plunger thingy on the carb and choke.
also had to make a longer wire for the backup light wire.
don't worry i used proper SFI spec 16 gauge so it's engine compartment safe!
also ghetto wired up my oil pressure gauge so i can use that when i start it.
also pounded an old generator pully straight-er and put that on with the belt.
im at a point that if the battery had a charge i could start it!

which brings up a question. i have a stock generator pully and 8 shims. the instructions for my Bugpack chrome pully say 10 shims. so is this an aftermarket VS stock thing or am i missing 2 shims?
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:01 pm... i have a stock generator pulley and 8 shims. the instructions for my Bugpack chrome pully say 10 shims. so is this an aftermarket VS stock thing or am i missing 2 shims?
To be honest I never counted them and have no idea about the exact stock number of these shims.
The pic in in the original VW repair manual shows seven shims (so I suppose 7 or 8 are stock).
The official VW parts manual reads "X" for the number of shims needed... :D
Most "sets" advertised today contain ten AFAIK.
Just make sure there is enough thread excess to safely tighten the stock pulley nut.
On the other hand an aftermarket acorn nut will bind if there is to much thread excess.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

new battery acquired and installed.
generator pully shims acquired and chrome pully and new belt installed.
wheels, attempted to acquire but they were out of stock.
engine static timed. points gap checked. it was good.

so i just need to ghetto connect the oil pressure gauge but i have to go to work tomorrow :roll: i don't know how long ill be there, don't know if ill get a chance to mess with it anymore this weekend cause i don't really want to be a dick with noise and fumes if my nextdoor neighbors have company on Easter sense the only thing separating my back driveway from there back patio is a 6 foot tall block wall.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

8-)