I'm a Notchback Owner!!

You know you want to, you social butterfly.
65VW

I'm a Notchback Owner!!

Why not post it here too :).

I had been looking for a notchback project or not of awhile and wanted to buy a red project one posted on a site in Victoria BC last July but I missed it by a few days.

I came across this Sea Blue notchback in Oak Harbor and it was a once I a life time opportunity I couldn't pass up. I think I paid less then if I had restored one. Nate actually hooked me up with the owner via his business. I went to a local VW show to BS with him and see the customer notch he posted he was going to bring and I asked him to let the owner know I was interested in buying when he was ready to sell.

Its a one owner mostly original no rust in great shape with tons of extras including original parts collected for future repairs 1965 See Blue Notchback.

The seats had newer but 1966 notchback appropriate material put on them when the stitching from the old seats failed. The owner says the seat material was fine for the most part, but just fell apart. Unfortunately I don't think he saved the original material.

Carpet has covered the original in great shape rubber floor mats.
He had 1600cc pistons and cylinders installed years ago so it's a 1500 motor with 1600 pistons and cylinders. He has and is including the original 1500cc pistons and cylinders that are in perfect shape.

Lots of original paperwork too. He and his wife went to Germany and purchased it there in 1964.
I put a down payment on it and will pick it up in a month or so when the owners return from vacation. I needed time to find more space for this and my other 3 bugs.

Last edited by 65VW on November 18th, 2013, 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
65VW

Re: I'm a Notchback Owner!!

I finally uploaded some pictures so I can post some.

These were taken in Oak Harbor the day I picked the car up.

Nice Plates too. These came with the car but the notch actually has a Washington state license plate from the 60s and the plate actually has a 65 year sticker on it!
The Blue VW plates work well on my Blue Bug too.

This is the previous owner who purchased the Notchback new in 1964 in Germany when he and his wife went over there as part of a University trip. They spent extra time there and drove all around in the notch and them brought it home through Texas, to Colorado, to Washington.

The Notchback at its new home with its new friend. Both are 65s and mostly original SN matching. The bug was our family car when I was a kid, and my Dads main commuter car until he retired in 1988.
schwim
Site Admin

Wow man, that car looks fantastic!

Any current plans, other than enjoying it? I wouldn't get twisted over the p/c change and seats. I view things like that as part of the car's personal history.

I can't tell you how much I would like to know my car's history. I would have paid extra for it :)
65VW

Our plans are to keep the notch as it is now and drive it around on nice days and take our dogs to parks and other joy rides.
Same as I do with the Bug, but i think we will use the notch a lot more with its extra power and space and all.

I agree it is the history that makes this notch special and I did have to pay extra for that but it was far below his initial 30-40K asking price in our talks :shock: .

I was also his best chance to see the notch kept as is and he knew that, so when he called back after our initial discussion we came to a price that was higher then a 65 notchback in this shape should really go for but not over the highest NADA price, to me the extra was fair for the history and documents and a bunch of extra NOS unused parts like a starter and drums and things.

I wish it didn't rain so much here so I could drive the VWs more.
schwim
Site Admin

65VW wrote:Our plans are to keep the notch as it is now and drive it around on nice days and take our dogs to parks and other joy rides.
Same as I do with the Bug, but i think we will use the notch a lot more with its extra power and space and all.
With all it's charm, a T-4 really has all the bells, whistles and space of any vintage car. I don't think you give up anything to use it as a driver.
65VW wrote:I agree it is the history that makes this notch special and I did have to pay extra for that but it was far below his initial 30-40K asking price in our talks :shock: .
Zowie!
65VW wrote:I wish it didn't rain so much here so I could drive the VWs more.
I remember those days. Waking up and being sad when I would see it raining outside. I'm still sad when it's raining outside, but now it's because it's hard to weld in the rain. I'll be glad when it's driving I'm putting off in the inclement weather again :)
65VW

I have many more new pictures of the notch and I will repost the broken links soon.

The notch has made my bugs seem slow and loud.
Maddel

65VW wrote:The Notchback at its new home with its new friend. Both are 65s and mostly original SN matching.
The bug was our family car when I was a kid, and my Dads main commuter car until he retired in 1988.

This is simply awesome!
65VW

I ordered some original style Mesh Grey seat covers for the Notchback and they arrived this week.

My plan is to do 1 seat at a time at home using hog rings and thin metal rods (old headliner supports) so it will be done correctly and will last.
The bit of string they sent with the seat covers just doesn't give the hog rings something to really fasten too and it makes me think the material would end up tearing.

I hope to start on a seat soon.
Today I got my gas powered 1980's era grass edger fixed and now I need to install that muffler on a Bug and then on to the seats.

Here is a picture of the complete set, they look very good.

I slipped a front seat cover over the existing seat cover to see how it will look and the fit is very nice.

I hope they will turn out as nice as the ones I dd in the 65 Bug I restored.
These were done by me at home from bare frames.

Hey Schwim, hope ts Ok these pictures posted in this large format. I uploaded them to Samba and used their Image link here.
schwim
Site Admin

Re:

Those seats are going to look fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the process occur. Although I won't be going the same route per se, I will likely be dealing with strengthening the mounting points.
65VW wrote:Hey Schwim, hope ts Ok these pictures posted in this large format. I uploaded them to Samba and used their Image link here.
It's a-ok! The forum will shrink the visual size of the images to fit whatever width the person's screen will allow.
Maddel

Re: Re:

schwim wrote:Those seats are going to look fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the process occur...
x2!
The gray color will lighten the interior's appearance too. Much more inviting IMHO.