any old addiction forum OG's?

You know you want to, you social butterfly.
schwim
Site Admin

Re: any old addiction forum OG's?

Well, 1,700 emails were sent and it looks like about a dozen registrations from it. So many email addresses from 15 years ago are no longer used, so not a whole bunch of successful deliveries.

There's still about 300 microsoft accounts to send an email to(hotmail, msn, outlook). Microsoft doesn't trust unestablished domains so I had to jump through some hoops to get mail delivered to those accounts. Even now, I have to limit the mail to just a few an hour so they don't decide to block the server again. Maybe we'll get a few more of the original crew from the remaining email addresses.
65VW

Wow 1700!?! There were that many registered users?

Glad a few did actually register out of that, my guess is it is people like me who do not like FB as a format for information exchange/help.

Forums seem to be drying up and several local ones in my area went away over the years.

I will send Nate a note about this site and he does have a lot of VW knowledge.
He built a racing squareback his son is now racing in.

Did JT (or was it TJ) respond? He seemed like a good guy.
schwim
Site Admin

65VW wrote:Forums seem to be drying up and several local ones in my area went away over the years.
It's a dying format but just like all the other dying formats, there will be enough holdouts to populate a cozy spot. It's no longer a viable method of making your millions via advertising monetization but for a few guys to stand around the barrel and share VW stories, it's as good a time as any.
65VW wrote:I will send Nate a note about this site and he does have a lot of VW knowledge.
He built a racing squareback his son is now racing in.
I've read some amazing threads of his over on the Samba. He's an absolute dynamo and his projects are a blast to follow.
65VW wrote:Did JT (or was it TJ) respond? He seemed like a good guy.
I never heard back from JT and if I remember correctly, his email bounced(it's hard to keep track of that many bounced emails :D). A fun little nugget of trivia, he was the 4th person to register over at the old site and that's including the two admins of the site. He's about as salty as one could get :)

My hope was that the few I was able to tap on the shoulder would know a guy who knew a guy who.... that sort of thing.

It will be fun to see where it stands in a month or so when the dust settles. Maybe we'll have assembled a workable sandlot team.
vwfan4life68

Glad to see someone managed top drag this rusty old site back from the brink schwimm, nice work

I'm in the same boat as 65VW, still hanging in there, although i haven't been able to drive my VW at all over the last 7 or 8 years; i think i was out once in it about 4 years back, but since then its been sitting gathering dust in both my storage garage and now my actual garage, since i bought a house

Does that mean i'm getting rid of it? Nope, i just have a couple of slightly more pressing projects before i can get it at least driveable again.

And i'm also getting grumpy and old; don't go to many car cruises anymore since they only attract a bunch of stupid kids in flashy rice burners, and since the law watches every street now i can't exactly take them to school at a red light :lol:
schwim
Site Admin

I'm a bit more under the gun as I don't have a covered storage space for Zippy so it's sort of a race against the earth reclaiming him :)

I try not to move into the "get off my lawn" phase of life too early. I try to keep a "live and let live" mentality and hug a millennial once a day right after I take my multivitamin.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

hell iv been waving a rake and yelling at people to get off my lawn sense i was in my early 20's.

seriously, don't make turn on the sprinklers!

the alien in my avatar should be giving the finger. lol
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote:hell iv been waving a rake and yelling at people to get off my lawn sense i was in my early 20's.

seriously, don't make turn on the sprinklers!

the alien in my avatar should be giving the finger. lol
65VW

Damn kids quit parking along my side yard!! Grrrr. haha
I have to try not to be too crotchety too at times.

The VW Bug comes and goes but its a nice hobby and I don't usually think of things that bother me when I am working on the Bugs or driving them around.
I also feel better after I get something done, like I just replaced the front tie rods and front brake slave cylinders in a Bug and I feel great that its done and even better that I did it.

Also charged up my 1992 Ford Explorers AC with a quick charge kit yesterday and I now have AC again!!!
That is one easy recharge kit to recharge an R12 system and it has been a few years since my AC worked.
Messing with cars/VWs is just enjoyable.
schwim
Site Admin

Wow, R12 kits are getting as rare as hen's teeth and pretty darned expensive! Have you been sitting on some? My 79 Bronco's A/C needs some love but to be honest, I don't want to pay the crazy cost of R12 on top of whatever's wrong with it and I have too many projects to add a retrofit kit onto the list of things I'm getting to way too slowly.

I always feel great after getting something done on the bug but I have the worst mission creep of anyone I've ever known. I tried to build a blast cabinet so I could clean up the rims, seat frames and stuff of that sort but the build was an epic failure so I bought a cabinet, built a dust collector and am now in the process of improving the lighting, making the glass a quick-change affair and wiring the back of the basement so I don't have extension cords everywhere. This was all to do some rims and seat stuff, which still hasn't gotten done :)

All in due time and I remind myself that it's the projects that give you all the memories and not so much the finished car.

Well, that's what I tell myself :D