Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
24 posts Page 2 of 3
schwim wrote: ...That's a magnificent photo and I love the shoes! I've got a pair of Doc Marten wingtips that I bring out on special occasions, like my wedding, for instance...
These are George Cox creepers. And Doc Marten boots/shoes are my favorite footwear since the early 80s.
Except for some special occasions where I preferred the infamous safety sandals... :lol:

schwim wrote: I will stop derailing your historical accounting now, I promise :)
No offense taken. It's much more fun to go on a journey with companios. You're carrying your towel, aren't you?
VW 1302 S
October 1988

Found these pics of what was my "official car" while I served "Zivildienst" at the state office for the preservation of archaeological monuments...

Hose that bus down!

These archaeologists are inventive folks...

To get an idea what it's all about...

VW 1302 S
Neat old pictures.
I bet a lot of bus owners would cringe at using a garden hose to clean the inside of a bus.
65VW wrote: ...I bet a lot of bus owners would cringe at using a garden hose to clean the inside of a bus.
Well... Yes, sort of a ruthless treatment but it was my last resort...

A colleague used the bus to remove the garbage from another digging site.
He was not that careful and some of the trash bags cracked. :shock:

Although he cleaned out the mess the bus still stank like hell. :?
Therefore I tried the flooding method to produce relief... :lol:
VW 1302 S
November 1988

Since I got my first Bug back in '85 I learned a lot about AC VWs.
I gained some experience in maintenance, service and repair of these cars as well as an overview of the beetle's model history.
Especially the Hebmüller convertible left a lasting impression. It was my dream car back then...

But how to get one? Well... It was (and still is) almost impossible and far too expensive.

Side note:
The same applies to the Schwimmwagen. The dad of one of my buddies brought one back to Germany from Africa. :shock:
He was a development aid worker. I have to stop by and check if they still have it!

Back then these Speedster/Roadster kits were popular over here. The one below belonged to a buddy.

So the idea was born to build something like that. Now I was in need of a well preserved, solid Bug for the conversion.
VW 1302 S
I really need to add a like button :)

Take a vacation or something so we can find out what happens next, I'm on the edge of my seat!
December 1988

After weeks of poring over the local classifieds, checking and refusing quite a few promising "fair condition" bugs on-site
a very simple AD reading "VW Käfer zu verkaufen" led to a surprisingly well preserved '71 1302 S Super Beetle.

Although all fenders were bent and dented (the owners garage was quite small) and apart from the bedraggled interior
the Bug's vital weak spots looked good. So I purchased it for 1.500 DM (850 $ based on the 1988 exchange rate) and
drove it home without any issues.

The Bug was first registered by the original owner in Berlin in September 1970. According to some documents
and literature that came with the car I assume this gentleman took good care of the vehicle.

In 1986 he handed it over to his nephew from whom I bought the Bug eventually. Obviously this guy was not so much
into maintenance. Actually I was under the impression he didn't like the car at all and wanted to get rid of it ASAP.
I'm quite sure he managed to wear the Bug down quite a bit during the two years he owned it.

Anyway... Time to start the build and see what surprises disassembly hold in store...
VW 1302 S
I am confused by the white Bug.

The front end is very rounded and looks like a Super Beetle but where the front hood meets the window I do not see the 6-8' or so of metal. With the back of the hood right under the front window it looks like a standard Bug.

But I don't recall a standard Bug having a big bulge under the dashboard so it looks like a Super Beetle.

Is this a SB or Standard Bug?

The 1302 Super had the more traditional looking dash area and flatter windshield while the 1303 went whole-hog and bubblized everything they could get their hands on.
65VW wrote: I am confused by the white Bug.
Aha, the infamous Super Beetle confusion... :)

Found this on superbeetles.com:

Q. How can you tell a Super Beetle from a Standard Beetle?
A. The easiest way to tell is to open the trunk (in the front) and check to see if the spare tire is laying flat* in a recess in the floor. Another way is to look behind the front wheel. If you see a large vertical spring then that car is a Super Beetle. The spring is part of the MacPherson strut suspension system that is used on all Super Beetles.

Q. Do all Super Beetles have a curved front windshield?
A. No. The 1971-1972 Super Beetles (AKA the 1302) used the same flat front glass as the Standard Beetle. The curved front windshield was first introduced to the 1973 Super Beetle* (AKA the 1303). This glass was used in both the Super Beetle sedan and convertible until the end of production. This new style glass was used to comply with US safety standards with regards to the distance from the occupants and the front glass.

Q. Is the motor in the Super Beetle different from the Standard Beetle?
A. Yes and No. Since 1970 both Standard Beetle and Super Beetle (since 1971) use the same 1600 ccm (actual 1584 ccm) engine in North America. In Europe the "S" or "LS" in 1302S, 1303S, and 1302LS indicates that the car is equipped with a 1600 ccm engine, disk brakes in front, and other trim items. While the versions without the "S" or "LS" featured a 1300 ccm (actual 1285 ccm) engine and drum brakes on all corners.

Q. Which Super Beetle uses the full size dashboard?
A. The full size dashboard was used in 1973 and up SuperBeetle, again in both sedan and convertible models. Before that all Beetles used a flat dashboard that had been basically the same since 1958. The new dash board was going to be used to house future airbags and to modernize the look of the vehicle.

Q. What was the first year for the Super Beetle Convertible?
A. 1971 was the first year for the "topless" Super Beetle. From that year on all convertibles would be of the Super Beetle variety.

Q. Why did Volkswagen come out with the Super Beetle?
A. The principal reasons for the development of the Super Beetle was to increase the utility of the vehicle by providing the customer with a larger luggage compartment and greater comfort. These factors were just as important some 30 years ago as they are today. By providing more luggage space, better handling, greater overall utility and comfort, the Super Beetle gave Volkswagen customers more choice in the model range of the period and greater choice in the market segment.

Q. When was the last Super Beetle made?
A. The last Super sedan was made in 1975 (although the Standard sedan continued for a few more years), 1979 was the last year for the convertible. Convertible production ran until mid January 1980 to fill all the orders for the last Super Beetle convertible ever.

Q. Was the Super Beetle ever made in Mexico?
A. No. Mexico only produced the Standard Beetle (known as the Sedan), of which production ended July 31, 2003. Super Beetles were produced in Germany, Australia and Sarajevo, Yugoslavia.
* Please note that the "1600S Beetle" that was produced in South Africa from 1975 to 1978 uses a curved windshield, full size dashboard but uses the traditional torsion bar suspension with the spare tire in the upright position. This car uses elements from both the Standard 1200 model and 1303 Super Beetle in its construction and is NOT a Super Beetle.

Q. What are the differences in the 1302L 1302S, 1303A, 1303LS (etc) models that were sold in Europe?
A. The letters at the end denote different trim levels, engine sizes, disc brakes, etc. Here is a list that was sent to us from Mihaly in Romania.

• 1302 Super Beetle - 1285 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension , and standard equipment
  • 1302 L Super Beetle - 1285 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, and luxury equipment
  • 1302 S Super Beetle - 1584 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, disc brakes at front, and Standard equipment (1971-72 model)
  • 1302 LS Super Beetle - 1584 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, disc brakes at front, and Luxury equipment (1971-72 model)
  • 1303 Super Beetle - 1285 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, curved windshield, new dashboard, and standard equipment (1973-77 model)
  • 1303 A Super Beetle - 1285 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, curved windshield, new dashboard, an Economy model with poor equipment (1974 only model)
  • 1303 L Super Beetle - 1285 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, curved windshield, new dashboard, and Luxury equipment (1973-77 model)
  • 1303 S Super Beetle - 1584 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, curved windshield, new dashboard, disc brakes at front, and Standard equipment (1973-77 model)
  • 1303 LS Super Beetle - 1584 ccm dual port engine, strut front suspension, curved windshield, new dashboard, disc brakes at front, and Luxury equipment (1973-77 model)
VW 1302 S
24 posts Page 2 of 3