the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

passenger side running board is off and in far worse condition than i thought. its gong to take some fixing before i can put the new mat on.
drivers side, im afraid to look, it should be better but im guessing not much.

rust sucks.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
65VW

Rust is always a bummer, hope its not too bad..

For a quick fix use a Rust Converter spray on it and then paint over that with a rust sealing POR-15 type paint.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

lol. minions are awesome

and sense im here i might as well post a pic- less update on the bug.
i changed one door seal before getting pissed at the sun and the humidity. german door seals are a very snug fit and seal super good. well worth the extra money. and the running boards are completely disassembled, im weighing options (ok, procrastinating) i think im just going to fiberglass the holes, treat it like body work, paint them, reassemble and install. they're on the back burner for the time being, im planing on going to bug-in in October, ill hit the swap meet, see if i can't find a better set of original german boards that need some love.
i have motivation to buy parts, im just lacking motivation to go out and install those parts...
65VW

Hey Randy,

If you can buy POR-Patch it works great to fill in holes where it doesn't need to look perfect.
This stuff drys so hard it is difficult to sand down and when you use some mesh cloth and squish the POR-Patch into the mesh just like you do fiber glass it makes a great repair.

Just get it flat as you want it on the repair before it drys and wear disposable rubber gloves for sure.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-POR-Patch_p_53.html
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

that would work for the drivers side and the small hole on the passenger side, but, well ill try to post a pic of the passenger side this weekend. most people (anyone in there right mind) would just replace it. but im a cheap bastard that likes to do things the hard way so we'll see what happens.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

well in the name of meaningless progress, the old dried out cracked to hell tail light seals are gone and the new West Coast Metric tail light seals are on. hey that kinda rhymes. nicer fit and finish compared to the cheapies i had on there.
pain of stiff neck pending i might do the other door seal today to.

running boards... haven't touched them. still haven't even taken pic's of what im dealing with. at the rate im going im probably going to be looking for some decent replacements in the swap meet at Bug-In in October.

edit: ok, passenger door seal is on, it was easier than the drivers door for whatever reason. got that factory vacuum action going on, hard to close the doors without rolling a window down.
also realized that if i go pickup some por15 i can put the new cal look windshield rubber in. and possibly the quarter window on the drivers side. so i guess that's next (?)
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote:... got that factory vacuum action going on, hard to close the doors without rolling a window down...
Yeah, even the cabin venting system does not help...
At least the rear quarter moon vents help to blow out a candle when closing the door... :roll:

Leaving the quarter window ajar does the trick for me.
By the way I wonder if a bug would make a cool aquarium?? :)
Although these fish tanks bore me to death... :lol:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so i was just cleaning up the garage.  recently got rid of some junk and was reorganizing.  found a couple of cylinder heads i didn't know i had!
i had a spare set of heads with the part number 113.101.375A. one of which has a couple broken exhaust studs. knowing the bottom end is well worn, rather than mess with it i lost interest.
well guess what. one of the heads i just found, part # 113.101.375A. and it seems to be in good shape.
needless to say, im bolting that sucker on there! i just might have an update to this dead thread by the end of the weekend
schwim
Site Admin

Fingers crossed!